I’ve been listening to Christmas music this week to get ideas for our 7-9 Christmas Eve services this year. Four new albums came out today. I’ve listened most all the way through them all and they all have potential for your Christmas Celebration services this year.
Oh For Joy EP by David Crowder Band
- Angels We Have Heard on High will please all the bluegrass fans!
- O Holy Night ends with “Hallelujah.” Pretty great marriage of songs.
- Silent Night goes into a hoedown!
The Heart of Christmas by Matthew West
- Songs are more presentational.
- Silent Night rings my piano bell.
- Give This Christmas Away has a great message in CCM fashion
Christmas in DirverseCity by TobyMac
- Little Drummer Boy is very doable if you have someone to make a Reason track
- Birth of Love has potentential
- Angels We Have Heard with a traditional twist
This is Christmas by Kutless
- What is Christmas with a great lyric
- Breath of Heaven with a male vocal has possibilities
- Mary Did You Know is resurrected and they way it should be
- It Came Upon A Midnight Clear with a great acoustic feel
Songs For Christmas by Phil Wickham
- The First Noel is a great acoustic with coral possibility.
- Silent Night with a Groove and a Wurly! at least I think it’s a wurly
- O Come O Come Emmanuel… um… nice
- Christmas Time has a strong message
- Evermore is worth the listen
- O Come All Ye Faithful has a built in narrative that a kid could do
On a side note, Christmas seems to be the season for 6/8… just sayin
What music is on your radar as you prepare for Christmas 2011?