I love mowing my yard. I love having a flush lawn with no weeds. I can have a nice house with a nice sized lot but I can’t just expect to have a nice yard because I have a nice house and a good sized lot.
I believe a lot of churches feel since they have a good location and a nice facility, they will grow and lives will change. I wish it were that easy.
Many people have quoted, myself included, Psalm 127:1
(1)Unless the Lord builds the house the builders labor in vain.
Only God can build His house but something jumped out at me when I read this scripture in context:
Psalm 126:5-6; 127:1
Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. (6)Those who go out weeping carrying seed to sow will return with songs of joy, carrying their sheaves with them. (1)Unless the Lord builds the house the builders labor in vain.
If we are going to see Life Change we have to expect it by:
- Praying for it: “go out weeping.” This shows our weakness and dependence to God. We must humble ourselves before Him knowing we cannot do it on our own.
- Preparing for it: “carrying seed to sow.” You can’t reap a harvest without planting seed. We’re going to prepare for it by creating an environment where people can’t wait to invite someone to come and experience what God can do in their lives.
- Celebrating it: “Return with songs of Joy.” We’re going to celebrate with those whose lives are going to be changed and thank God with them for His love and forgiveness.
Which of these three are you not doing well?
- Are you passionately praying for God to bring you people?
- Are you working hard to prepare your worship services and messages to be excellent and not just “get by” for one more Sunday?
- Are you celebrating the life change in others that God is doing? You get what you reward.